Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanking Heaven for the seven...

    Or six...or none? Because of a flag?  On Monday night, Ronnie Hastie, the running back for Tumwater High school ran in for a touchdown.  Once he was in, he got down on one knee, and pointed up above.  The referee immediately threw a flag right at him.  It was marked excessive celebration.  Ronnie Hastie said, "I do that to give glory to my Heavenly Father, Jesus. He gives me the strength. He's the one who gives me these abilities in the first place."
    I completely disagree with the ref's call, and any 'excessive celebration' call.  According to yahoo's video, the news reporter says that it is allowed in the NFL, but is frowned upon on high school and college level teams.  This is absolutely not true.  In basically every game, it is a chance situation so I think the option should be removed completely.  Miles Austin of the Cowboys was flagged for putting up his thumb, index, and pinky fingers!  Originally it was called because they thought he was paying homage to the University of Texas, the school that he didn't even attend!  Which, actually he was just signing 'i love you!'  
    Football is a passionate game.  Without passion, it wouldn't be the sport or game that you and i love to watch.  I don't understand any reasoning behind these penalties.

No comments:

Post a Comment